Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A Bribe, For Me?

I am insulted. I am just not sure about what.

Our college holds open registration. That means that students may register themselves for classes during a 3 week period each term. We don't keep registration a secret. It is on our website, advisors mention it, and we have a banner we place on the front lawn.

Still, after registration closes students will come into our office wailing that they "have to get into that class!" Most of the time students try to play the pity card hoping it is the first time we have heard the excuse they are using and will break the rules and register them for the class they want.

Today a student tried a new approach. She offered me a bribe. Seriously! This student leaned over my desk and in a low-toned voice offered me $10 to get her in the class she needed.

I don't know whether to be insulted that she thought I could be bribed, or insulted that she thought I could be bought so cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment