Tuesday, November 30, 2010

2 Minutes til Dinner

In an effort to save money, I have been carrying my lunch to work. I have tried every frozen meal for one that the grocery store stocks. I have had some good meals and some bad meals; and have narrowed my choices down to about a dozen that have become staples of my work day diet. I don't have high expectations of gourmet delights from my frozen dinners; I am just looking for something edible to keep me from starving while I shut myself in my office for an hour and concentrate on school work in the middle of the workday.

Being the rule follower that I am I read the directions on how to microwave each dinner and carefully completed each step as described. Lift one corner to vent...microwave 3 minutes...lift plastic, stir, replace plastic...let sit for 1 minute. I have been a slave to those tiny printed directions.

A week or so ago our custodian came by while I was studying the side of the box and said "I find that 2 minutes on high will cook anything." I thought I would give it a try, and I have decided the man is a genius.

I can't believe how much of my life I have wasted waiting on the microwave.

4 comments:

  1. It must be a guy thing, or a non-ruler follower thing.Jim told me that years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it works! Don't tell, but sometimes they are right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what we get for following the rules! Wait! WHEN did WE become rule followers?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm. Interesting. I will give it a try. Wisdom sometimes comes from the most interesting places.

    ReplyDelete