Saturday, April 24, 2010

Did They Call Me a Cracker?

The college where I work celebrates Administrative Professional’s Day (administrative assistant day?? secretary day??) by giving us a catered lunch, door prizes, and having a guest speaker.

The college weekly newsletter stated that this year’s speaker had written a book about Crackers. Seriously? Are they calling us crackers? Isn’t that obviously no respect for people that they don’t respect?

I am so NOT a cracker. I spent the past weekend indulging in high culture: I had a few margaritas at the Mexican restaurant (stumbled out), picked up a urinal on the side of the road (another story), camped at the hunting club with Mr and his family (no bath for 2 days), and was back at work Monday morning with a ponytail and orange fingernails. Sounds classy to me.

So really, I wasn’t excited about the speaker for Administrative Professional’s Day.

Then Lauretta Hannon took the floor. She spoke about finding inspiration in our flawed lives, about being down on your luck and thanking God for a chance to work, about the compassion that exists in the grittiest hard-core drunks. She wasn’t calling us crackers, she was showing us her life and how to embrace who you are and carry on with hope and dignity.

I may sound as if I am hawking her books, but really, check Lauretta Hannon out at http://www.thecrackerqueen.com/. Her book is inspirational and funny- two good things to be for Administrative Professional’s Day.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the wonderful shout-out! Your blog is fun reading. Keep it up. And call me if you find another urinal--I need some new art for the yard.

    ReplyDelete