Thursday, April 1, 2010

A Rose By Any Other Name


Working in a college enrollment center I see a lot of different first names. There seems to be no end to the length people will go when naming their baby. I understand expectant parents want their child to have an unusual or unique name, and when a co-worker comes to the lobby and says “Katie” and three young women stand up I see the point of wanting a name that is a little different. Still, I think parents should think things through when naming a person.

“Different” names fall into various categories. There are people named after television shows or characters from TV. There are geographical names, names based on Christianity, and names that appear to be just random words the parents liked to say.

This week I heard a young man named Rockford, like the James Garner character from the late 70s or early 80s. Another student name I saw that came from a “guy show” was Bonanza. That’s right; Bonanza was on his social security card. And representing for the Addams Family: a young woman named Morticia came through our office this week.

Geographical names are fairly common now: Dallas, Austin, and Savannah. Two I heard recently were uncommon enough that I added them to this list. The first one I heard was Czechoslovakia. I wanted to ask if he goes by “the former republic of…” but figured he had heard that before. He did tell me that everyone calls him Czech. The second unusual geographic name I came across recently was Antarctica. I just saw the paperwork so I couldn’t ask if she goes by Ant.

We are used to hearing names based on Christianity. Everyone seems to know a child named Trinity (religion or Matrix?) and Divinity isn’t unusual either (religion or candy?). This week I saw the name Demon. Apparently his parents were going in the opposite direction from the parents of Grace.

Last on the list are random words that parents use as names: Serenity, Truelove, and Jealousy. I understand naming a baby after peaceful feelings and higher aims; what I don’t understand is naming a baby Jealousy. Seriously, the green eyed monster?

Anyway, a name is a name. Claim your own name and think hard before naming someone else.

2 comments:

  1. When I first started reading your post, I immediately thought about how many kids today are named Madison. Funniest story I heard on this was when my girlfriend worked at an elementary school and one of the kids being enrolled was named...well, let's just first go with the mother's pronunciation: "Shi-thay-ad". And the spelling on that...(I kid you not) "Shithead". How very sad for that child!!

    I'll be back for another visit. I hope you don't find my comment too bizarre!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe someone would name their child Demon (perhaps it was meant to sound like Damon?) or jealousy. That's just strange.

    I was in a ladies change room once and heard a the lady next door get after her kid "legolas". While I love LOTR I couldn't image naming my kids after any of the characters. that geeky I am not.

    Love the title of your blog btw. ;)

    ReplyDelete